Many Christians in Hampton Roads don't know how they can make a difference in their local and state government. It is my belief that while we live in a representative government we as Christians have an obligation to influence what happens. To not do anything is a vote for what is currently happening. We are complicit.
It actually doesn't require a lot of time to start to make a difference. Here is a list of the different areas you can plug into:
- Visit the Virginia Beach Republican weekly Saturday breakfast. It's every Saturday at 8:30am at Golden Coral (400 S Independence Blvd, Virginia Beach, VA 23452) A good plce to ask questions and meet different characters. Many are Christian.
- Join your local Republican Party (You can join your local Democrat Party but will find out that your values are not supported to say the least)
- From there you will see if you want to support any candidates or get more involved. Keep in mind, the people who have been there are entrenched and may need to be convinced of a few things or voted out.
- You can also get involved in your cities election process. Over 80% of the people who work the polls and manage the elections are from the left. More Christians need to run our elections. Your city will pay you over $100 to work a polling location on election day. It's a 14 hour day but you will be doing your part. You can do it once and see if you would like to do it again.
- Through your local party you can become a volunteer poll watcher.
- You can sign up for a permanent absentee ballot. Virginia has an election every year. Never miss one again. Get a ballot in the mail and either fill it out and mail it in or bring it into your polling location so you can vote on election day.
- You can attend school board and city council meetings remotely or in-person.
- Plug into local and state wide family friendly organizations such as:
Let me know if you have any questions.
Email me at kenlub at gmail.com