Below is a chronicling of LibertyNEWS' coverage of the 2023 Bank Failure crisis:
BANK FAILURE DAY 3 -- March 15 Update:
- Failed bank held "know your pronouns" seminar
- Analysis: LET THE BANKS FAIL!
- Analysis: Banking is risky; it's supposed to be!
- Watters on the Biden Bank Bailout (video)
- Tucker on SVB, Lockdown Insanity and Woke mess (video)
Analysis: covid lockdowns, govt. spening primed bank crisis
- "In a nutshell, during the pandemic the government issued enormous amounts of extremely low interest government debt — about $4.2 trillion of it. But now interest rates, including on government debt, are higher than they have been in 15 years and investors are dumping their old low-interest debt. As they dump, the resale price of the old debt goes down. The more it declines, the more investors want to dump. And thus, a panic is born.
- SVB board loaded with Barack, Hillary donors
- WSJ: how did SVC's "safe" investments blow up?
Former SVC CEO explains what really happened...
- "A few years ago the venture-capital market got frothy, and SVB’s clients deposited huge amounts of newly acquired cash equity—so much that the bank’s deposit base quadrupled within a few years. SVB couldn’t lend out that much money, but unused deposits are a drain on return, so the bank had to deploy them somehow. Rather than put all the excess into low-yielding, short-term investments, the bank decided to place a significant chunk of them into higher-yielding longer-term securities.
- "But the venture market became less frothy, and the venture capitalists’ portfolio companies needed some of their deposits back. That money was locked up in these longer-term securities—and in the meantime, the Federal Reserve had raised interest rates, reducing the value of SVB’s investments. Selling them would have meant taking a hit of about $1.8 billion—not crippling, but anxiety provoking. SVB needed cash to return the deposits, so it attempted to sell stock. When the bank announced that on Thursday, many venture capitalists panicked.
- Stephanie Pomboy: why more banks could go "belly up" (video)
- Kudlow: Joe should SELL SVB and get government out of the way (Video)
- Money floods to BIG BANKS (just as they wanted?)
BANK FAILURE DAY 2 -- March 14 Update:
The Wall Street Journal's coverage has been outstanding:
- How Silicon Valley Turned on Silicon Valley Bank
- Collapse of Silicon Valley Bank, Signature Bank Calls Fed Interest Rate Path Into Question
- Were SVB and Signature Bank Just Bailed Out by the U.S. Government?
- SVB Doesn't Deserve a Taxpayer Bailout
- Bank Stocks Take a Beating Despite Emergency Measures
- Fed's "Magical" Accounting Might Save Banks but Doom Interest Rates
- New Risks: Regulators Face Urgent Task to Stem Spread From SVB
- Washington, D.C. Is the Problem
- Who Killed SVB?
- How to Protect Your Money From a Bank Collapse
- SVB's Meltdown "Visualized"
- Biggest bank failures (graphic)
- Shhh: Another bank failed just a few days before SVB collapsed, media mostly silent
- Jesse Watters: Biden bails out Wall Street, again! (video)
- Larry Kudlow: This is a sad tale (video)
- Charles Payne: This is a bailout of Silicon Valley (video)
- Joe reads four-minute statement, shuffles out the door, ignores reporters' questions (video)
- Joe says banks "safe"
- Joe: "That's how capitalism works"
- More on Joe's response
- Joe and the Left: "It's Trump's fault!"
- No. Trump was right... again! Predicted Joe's crash back in 2020 (video)
- FLASHBACK: Democrats LOVE a crisis
- Some good news: Mortgage rates fall in response to bank troubles
- The Wall Street Journal's coverage has been outstanding:
BANK FAILURE DAY 1 -- March 13 Update:
- Second Bank Fails: Signature Bank
- Will First Republic Bank be next?
- "First cockroach in the cellar" -- WSJ report
WSJ: "DeFacto bailout of the banking system"
- "The Treasury and Federal Reserve stepped in late Sunday to contain the financial damage from Friday’s closure of Silicon Valley Bank, guaranteeing even uninsured deposits and offering loans to other banks so they don’t have to take losses on their fixed-income assets.
- "This is a de facto bailout of the banking system, even as regulators and Biden officials have been telling us that the economy is great and there was nothing to worry about. The unpleasant truth—which Washington will never admit—is that SVB’s failure is the bill coming due for years of monetary and regulatory mistakes.
- "Will a universal uninsured deposit guarantee be next? This would be a monumental policy surrender, essentially admitting that the regulatory machinery established in 2010 by Dodd-Frank failed. We may be the only people in the world who still worry about “moral hazard.” But a nationwide guarantee for uninsured deposits, even for a limited time, means this will become the default policy any time there is a financial panic.
- "You can’t run the most reckless monetary and fiscal experiment in history without the bill eventually coming due. The first invoice arrived as inflation. The second has come as a financial panic, with economic damage that may not end with Silicon Valley Bank.
- Last major bank failure triggered 500 bank failures!
- Tucker: largest bank failure since 2008 (video)
- Economist: "TIP OF THE ICEBERG' (Video)
- Expert: a "perfect storm" for markets (Video)
Joe "pleased" with feds response
- Talking at 8a this morning; hmmmm
- Fed to delay rate hikes to May
What happened with Silicon Valley Bank?
- Analysis: SVB made a bet an it failed (video)
- Analysis: SVB collapse "not a big deal"
- Pinkerton: Green, Woke and now Broke
Home Depot Founder: SVB a "woke bank"
- “These banks are badly run because everybody is focused on diversity and all of the woke issues and not concentrating on the one thing they should, which is shareholder returns,” he said. "Instead of protecting the shareholders and their employees, they are more concerned about the social policies. And I think it’s probably a badly run bank.
- More on SVB as "climate change" bank
- Woke bank closed Trump's accounts two years ago
- Vivek Ramaswamy: NO TAXPAYER BAILOUT
- SVB linked to China... of course Joe bailing out!
- Musk: I'll buy SVB